The Fishing Couple …

Couple with Fish in Front of Studio_RTP_SFW

I do not recognize this couple or have any idea where they caught this fish, but I thought that someone out there might know who they are.  I would not doubt if this fish was caught in Pensacola Bay or it might have even been caught in Bayou Texar, just judging from the size the boat that this couple is standing in front of.  You see my father’s studio in the background … this was when it was located on Gonzalez Street, before he moved across the street to 12th Avenue.  Thanks again for looking and let us hear from you … Frank

July 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Posted in 1950's, Pensacola

Tagged with

1. My mother-in-law, Dottie Hepworth, fwd this to me. I could not believe it! I have this identical photo hanging in our home. On the back is written, “1948, Ray & Marion Edwards caught tarpon near Bay Bridge fishing from 12′ plywood boat.”. We are a large family here in the area and are SO proud to have them as our grandparents. They are an inspiration to us all. Married 71 years and counting.
    Ps. Do you see the guns on that guy? !! We love you Grandad.

Kim Purdy Hepworth

July 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm

• Thanks for the comment … Like I mentioned to someone earlier, when I come across this negative again, I will give it to you. I found this negative years ago and there was no name / identification attached to it. The size of the fish was what caught my eye and after I looked at the photo once I scanned the negative, the size of the boat was next. The boat being a small skiff, it seemed to me that the fish was most likely caught in Pensacola Bay or maybe the Bayou. Thanks for sharing this with everyone. One more thing, my father opened up the studio that you see in the background in June of 1948. Before that, he was an x-ray technician at the old Sacred Heart Hospital across the street. Frank

July 17, 2013 at 9:08 am

2. the couple -who are still alive-are marion and ray edwards. ray was a well known pioneer diver here in this area and would have students from semmes school come to his house on silver rd. and view his salt water aquariums and artifacts he found while diving. they are 2 great people.

ray lynch

July 16, 2013 at 8:01 am

• Thanks for the comment Ray … Frank

July 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

3. My Grandparents, Raymond and Marion Edwards of Pensacola. The photo was taken in 1948, the boat was the first one he had made. Tarpon was caught under the Pensacola Bay Bridge. He is still fishing to this day, his last trip was last Saturday out in the Gulf, Snapper fishing!

Amy Kemp

July 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm

• Thanks for the comment. I was surprised that it was made back in 1948. The negative was just laying around and I scanned it years ago. It was not in an envelope with any identification, in fact I cannot remember if it was in a box with other negatives or what. If you want the negative you can have it when I run across it again. Just send me an address at: frankphardy@gmail.com . I do not have all of these negatives cataloged in any certain order, but I am constantly going through them looking for inages and when I run acroos it, I will send it to you. Thanks again for commenting … Frank

July 16, 2013 at 9:26 am

4. This is Marion and Raymond Edwards,She is still alive and so is he.Raymond owned the Edwards roofing company and his son and son in law still run the business.Raymond was a big fisherman and did allot diving.

Dottie Hepworth

July 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

• I graduated from high school with Rick back in 1971 from the Academy of Arts and Sciences … I probably have not seen him in 25 or 30 years. I also know who the ” Purdy ” family is, but I do not have anything to do with them. I do not know the other children in their family, so thanks for telling me who they are and who you are. Thanks for looking and commenting … Frank. One more thing … have you seen this photo before and where did they catch this fish???

July 16, 2013 at 9:32 am