Pensacola Baseball Players 1958 …

This is a group  photo that my father made back in 1958.  The old Admiral Mason Ball Park sure had nothing on the new Blue Wahoos stadium … and how about this infield grass?  I doubt that this infield had any sub-surface, drainage run-off system.  And you know, if Jerry Pate had put this grass down,  his days in the turf business would be numbered!  Don’t forget these bleachers … my dad did the photography back then for the Dons as a trade-out for one of their so-called ” boxes “.  I can remember going to the games and sitting in the box and then running around with all the other kids at the game … something a kid never forgets – a real high point!  One thing that this ball park and the new CMP ball park have in common is that they were both built across the street from a sewage plant.  How many of you can remember that sewage plant that was down at the end of 9th Avenue?  Please share any memories that you have of the old Admiral Mason Ball Park … I, for one, would be interested in hearing them!  Thanks for looking …

Update:  After looking at this photo for a while, I believe this is a group of different ball team players from the past and not a group shot of the Dons.  Notice how the players seem to be wearing several different uniforms fro past Pensacola Ball Clubs … Senators, Dons, etc.  Also, these guys look a little too old to be playing everyday.  This could have been a player reunion promotion put on by the Dons, since they were always doing something to fill the stands.  What do you think?

April 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

1. My dad and I attended several games at this park to watch the Dons. One night there was a fireworks show which consisted of some guys taking a container of fireworks into right field and setting them off. Somehow a spark got into their container and all the fireworks started igniting. Those guys ran in all directions. Maybe it was planned. But it could not have been funnier.
    The Dons played in the Alabama-Florida League, I believe. It was the lowest professional classification called Class D. Future major leaguers I remember who came through Pensacola were Steve Barber and Bo Belinski. Belinski had a reputation as a playboy. Rumor said he made more money hustling pool than he did playing Class D ball. Think he later was married to one of the Hollywood blond bombshells. Bill Kreitlein

Bill Kreitlein

August 31, 2012 at 9:39 am

• I have some photos of Bo Belinski on here somewhere, I believe. I need to go back and see what I have put up. Thanks … Frank

August 31, 2012 at 6:58 pm

• Per my Mom, Jeannine (Neenie) Pritchett, this picture was the result of an all-star game supporting a local charity.

Darlene Pritchett Reno

September 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

• Bo Belinsky married Mamie Van Doren!

Steve Dlugos

November 8, 2012 at 12:13 am

• Thanks Steve … I have an article around here that my father cut out of some paper talking about Belinsky and his life out in Los Angeles. I will try to find it and post it later … it is an interesting read. It is nice hearing from you … Frank

November 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm

• Bill, I remember that night. My dad used to try to get us to the games pretty regularly and we were there for that one. I also sold sodas there for the Knights of Columbus, so got to see a lot of games for free. One night my dad caught a foul ball and they gave him a free pass. A few days later, he tried to use the pass to get in, and they wouldn’t let him use it because it was a “special event”. Somebody was going to get married at home plate, or something like that. He got mad about it, but took my sister and me for ice cream, so we did okay.

Donovan Baldwin

April 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm

2. Hey Frank, You are describing Tom and Mary Pritchett. I have sent your message to my Uncle Larry in hopes that he may know of the connection. Your Dad and my family had long history together. Small world! PS Aunt Mary made the best divinity! Take care, Darlene

Darlene Pritchett Reno

August 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm

• Darlene … Thanks for commenting. I have heard the Pritchett name my whole life and I that there is some relation somewhere, but I do not know where. In fact, the divinity sounds familiar … someone or some people always used to give my parent’s divinity at Christmas and I am sure some of it could have been from your Aunt Mary. When you find out, please email me and let me know. Thanks … Frank

August 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm

• Frank, I was incorrect…. Tom Pritchett was married to Thelma. They lived off of Bayou Blvd by the Marina Oyster Bar. Aunt Mary was married to Palmer Pritchett and they lived in Cantonment.

Darlene Pritchett Reno

September 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

• And Thelma was responsible for the divinity!

Darlene Pritchett Reno

September 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

3. The second ball player knelling down with the dark sleeves is my father, Harold Pritchett. Dad played with the Pensacola Flyers, a Chemstrand ball team and several more. Dad graduated from Pensacola High School and married my Mother Jeannine (Neenie) Miller Pritchett in 1955. My Mother was a Majorette at Pensacola High School and she taught baton and dance at my Aunt’s Bernice’s StarrStep Dance Studio. Your Dad, Frank, took many pictures of my family at events during those years. Thanks for the memories!

Darlene Pritchett Reno

August 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

• Darlene … there are some ” Pritchette’s ” that I am some how related to that lived here in Pensacola, but I cannot remember if they were on my mother’s side or my father’s side … I think my mother’s and she lived across the road from the Bayou and Johnson’s Marina, which is now the Marina Oyster Bar. I remember Bernice’s Dance Studio … I think my wife, Pam, used to take dance lessons from her back in the 60’s. Thanks for the comment and please check back later … Frank

August 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm