Clubbs House in East Hill in Snow …

This is the old Clubbs House on the corner of Blount and 12th Avenue.  My father made this when Pensacola had that severe snow-storm in February of 1957 … not exactly positive that was the year, but it was somewhere around 1956, 57 or 58.  I have posted several already from that snow, so I need to go back and check out the date.  This house is still there, but has received extensive remodeling.  Thanks for looking …

February 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

1. i REMEMBER TAKING CARE OF A women back in i wanna say the year of 1994/95 at a nursing home and all she talked about was how her family owned most of 12th avenue also told me that AV CLUBBS was named after her father. forgot what her name was but i remember the conversation so well.

diane sumler

November 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm

• Diane … All of that was way before my time, so I have no comment about that. The Clubbs’ family was very prominent in Pensacola, but again, they were before my time. It is amazing how some conversations stay with you and yet, you cannot remember what you ate for dinner two nights ago. Thanks again for commenting and please check back … Frank

November 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm

• This snow was in February of 1958. I have a photo of a friend’s car covered with snow and it is dated.

Laura Singletary

January 5, 2013 at 12:01 am

• I have a good many images from these snows we had in Pensacola back in the 1950’s. There is one post I have a ways back of snow on the front porch of some house in East Hill with a rocking chair that has always been a favorite of mine. I am hoping this year to create some inexpensive posters of some of these images, but we will have to wait and see. I am hoping to partner up with a printer, so that we both could use these posters as a promotional piece. Thank you for your comment, it is nice that you took the time to comment … Frank

January 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

2. Miss Occie Clubbs lived in this house when I attended McReynolds during the fifties. McReynolds was two blocks east of this house. She was the Principal at McReynolds and walked the two blocks every day. We loved her. Bill Kreitlein

Bill Kreitlein

August 28, 2012 at 3:19 pm

• Bill .. Miss Clubbs was before my time…Thanks for sharing that with us…Frank

August 29, 2012 at 9:03 am

3. My father,William Keller, a telephone installer at that time, told our family about Miss Clubbs (the daughter who was an old woman at that time) calling for a new phone installation back in the 40’s/early 50’s. My father said it was extremely difficult to explain to her that the house had to be wired for electricity BEFORE a phone could be installed.

Susan Keller Fillingim

August 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

• That’s funny … my father used to do a lot of work with Southern Bell through the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s until it was changed to Bell South and then everything stopped. The manager, Sam Love, was real good to my father and he sent my father a lot of business through the years. I have many, many negatives of Southern Bell that I will post in the future just for nostalgia sake. It is funny to see how far we have come in just 50 years or so. Thanks again for sharing that with us and please check back … Frank

August 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm

• Frank, I remember that Mr. Hardy took many, many Southern Bell pictures; i.e., meetings, business opportunities, employees working, etc. I have several of your Dad’s pictures of my father, Woody Glaze, Mr. McDonald (and others I can’t remember their names). One of my favorites is taken in the middle grassy area of Palafox (by Wright St.) with my father, my brother Billy, and me along with Woody Glaze and several other people and their model airplanes. (Date must be around 1948-49). BTW: Mr. Love was Daddy’s boss, so perhaps my Dad & your dad knew each other.

Susan (Keller) Fillingim

February 22, 2013 at 7:31 pm

• Mr Love is a familiar name and I can remember him slightly. Woody Glaze does not sound familiar but when I started working with my father, most of these guys were gone. Thanks for your comment … Frank.

February 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

4. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures! My younger sister was born on February 12, 1958 at Baptist Hospital. I remember my mother telling us how excited the nurses were because it was SNOWING outside!

Siegrid Hoewt McAskill

August 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

• That sounds about right on the date … Frank

August 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm

5. From The St. John Cemetery site; On A.V. Clubbs.
    He was one of Pensacola’s leading builders for more than 40 years, building many of the East Hill homes. In the late 1870s, Clubbs built his house on the northwest corner of 12th Avenue and 12th Street; the latter became Blount Street. His large,two-story home was one of the first houses in Pensacola to have running water and, in 2002, the dwelling remains in excellent condition.

Bill

February 29, 2012 at 8:23 am

• My dear wife says it was February, 1957, as she recalls being very distressed at not being able or allowed to play in it! She was in the second grade at Warrington Elementary School.

Bob Ogden

August 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

• Bob … I have a lot more photos of this snow fall back in 1957 and will be posting more in the future, so please check back. Frank

August 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm