Veteran’s Gas Company …

This building is located on Pace Blvd, just a couple of blocks north of Cervantes Street.  It is not called Veteran’s Gas anymore and I cannot remember the business’ new name.  I have several interior views that I will post later when I get them worked -up.   Thanks for looking …

April 29, 2012 at 10:38 am

1. Love looking at the pictures. Just recently found the site and love each page. I grew up in East Hill at 12th and Lee across from Club Middle in the late 70’s and 80’s. Funny memories come to mind when I see this pic of Veterans Gas Co. Our phone number was 1 digit different than Veterans Gas and each winter my dad took numerous phone calls from mad customers who had no heat…at first he would try to explain, but as years past he would simply tell them to call back later when the manager was in….

Tim Sanford

January 6, 2016 at 3:42 pm

• Thanks for the comment Tim … That’s funny. Our home phone number was one digit different off from Dap’s Auto Parts. People would call and say ” Dis Daps? ” and I would say ” Dis ain’t Daps “, so I what you are talking about. Where you next door to the Whigins who owned the Drug Shop up the street on 12th? I was around during that time period, so I imagine that our paths might have crossed at Friendly Service or Winn-Dixie. The Sanford name sounds familiar, but the only person I can put name to is a Glen Sanford. However, I cannot put a face to him or anything … just the name. Might have gone to Workman Junior High with me is all that I can think of. I have sort of neglected my blogs the past few months in favor of Instagram. You can find me there at – frankphardy . Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks again for commenting and looking … Frank

Liked by 1 person

January 6, 2016 at 6:11 pm

• Interestingly enough my dad is Glenn Sanford. We lived at 1212 E Lee st. We were between Mrs Penton (sheriff Pentons widow) and the Whites. We lived there from 78 to 86. My dad was a pastor in town for many years. Could it be the same Glenn?? I will definitely follow on Instagram!!

timgsanford

January 6, 2016 at 6:32 pm

• Tim … Which church was your father pastor of? From around 1976 to around 1989 or 90, I must have gone to a thousand weddings taking photographs. I would do at least two on a Saturday and at times I have done as many as four. So there were a lot of churches in Pensacola and vicinity that I went to. It could have been some where in those years that I ran across your father and the name stuck in my mind. I have always photographed weddings even to this day I still go to a handful of them, but it is getting harder to find people that want what I do and how I photograph. That is a whole other story. Thanks again for commenting and please keep in touch … Frank

January 7, 2016 at 5:17 pm

• Frank he pastored over at Fundamental Baptist on Massachusetts Ave. He did many many weddings between 77 and 85. Really enjoying both your blogs and Instagram. I no longer live in the area but still visit several times a year. It’s so neat seeing the sites I grew up with.

timgsanford

January 7, 2016 at 6:09 pm

• Thanks Tim … I was just down Massachusetts the other day and it has really changed. If ever you get back to the area, please look me up, I am very easy to find … Frank

February 28, 2016 at 10:38 am

2. “Modern” buildings and their DRAB architecture! Practical and inxpensive, but when art leaves building design it takes away something from man made structures. And this building still stands but it’s nothing to look at.

Bill