Los Angeles City Hall …

This image of the City Hall in Los Angeles was made back in the 1940’s, on one of my dad’s trips out west to visit his sister who was a nurse in Los Angeles.  I still have a few of these negatives from his trips out west that I plan on posting in the future.  An interesting side note about this building … if you travel to Baton Rouge Louisiana,  you will see a building similar to this structure.  Governor Huey Long had been out to LA and was so fascinated with this building that he built an exact replica for the state capital in Baton Rouge.  But the more remarkable thing was that he built the Louisiana Capital building in less that two years!  I picked up a flyer telling about the history of the building that I will find and post some more info later.  Thanks for looking …

February 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Posted in 1940's, Los Angeles

Tagged with

1. the picture is definitely the louisiana state capital building in baton rouge

russ

January 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm

• The only thing is that these images were made on roll film and the images before and after were taken in the Los Angeles area when my father went to visit his sister when she worked at Cedars of Lebanon hospital in the 1950’s. If it was made on sheet film it could have been. Thanks for looking and please check back … Frank

January 26, 2013 at 9:08 am

2. I googled baton rouge Louisiana capital building images and the top looks just the same. The buildings in LA were slightly different at the top.

Valerie

September 20, 2012 at 8:37 am

• Thanks for the comment … Frank

September 20, 2012 at 5:43 pm

3. It’s definitely not L.A. City Hall, (or Beverly Hills City Hall), but it looks just like the Louisiana State Capitol:

suzuki

July 8, 2012 at 9:50 am

• Maybe it could be the Los Angeles County building. Pam and I passed through Baton Rouge last November and we went through the state capital. Huey Long, the governor of Louisiana at the time, had traveled to Los Angeles and wanted Louisiana’s capital to be modeled after it. If anyone could tell us what this building in LA is, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for looking and all comments are welcomed … Thanks Frank

July 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm

• Thanks for link and the comment … Frank

July 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

4. Yeah, it’s definitely not L.A. City Hall, (or Beverly Hills City Hall), but looks just like the Louisiana State Capitol. (I’ve heard the story about these buildings, but never been to Louisiana.)

suzuki

July 8, 2012 at 9:47 am

• Thanks for looking and the link … could it be the LA Police station? Frank

July 12, 2012 at 10:06 am

5. Frank…I don’t know what it is, but this is not the L.A. City Hall. I worked in Los Angeles for over 30 years. I’ve been in the building…at the top of it…inside the top of it and even have it on my police badge. This is not it. Your photo looks closer to the Beverly Hills City Hall, although I still don’t think that’s it either. Check out the first below link to a 1931 photo of the L.A. City Hall, and the other, to a modern view of it.

Michael Arminio

March 16, 2012 at 3:43 am

• Michael … Thanks for the comment. For the record, I do not have a clue what the building is and I am not even sure where it is. Some people that saw the framed image at my studio said that they thought that it was the Los Angeles City Hall. My wife and I had been to the Louisiana Capital in Baton Rouge and it was said that Huey Long built it to resemble the LA City Hall. They looked close to me so I just titled the photo ” LA City Hall “. I am curious as to what the building is, so I will check those links that you have in your comment. I have another building that I mentioned as the hospital Cedars of Lebanon ( not sure of the name there either ), so if you have any comment as to that building, please let me know. Thanks again for looking and the comment … Frank

March 16, 2012 at 10:23 am